Job Title: Press Officer
Working For: Jane Brophy MEP & Chris Davies MEP (North West England)
Location: Stockport, Greater Manchester, North West England
Salary: £22,000-£24,000 (Depending on experience)
Date Added: 1st October 2019
Closing Date: 16th October 2019
The primary responsibilities of the postholder will be to work in a leading role in the small staff team in Stockport to ensure that the North West Liberal Democrat MEP's media relations are delivered in a professional manner. The post-holder will be expected to demonstrate an ability to understand and promote political positions and policy; they will be expected to build credibility with journalists and commentators; they will be expected to work quickly and accurately under pressure. They will be expected to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator with a uniquely creative ability to achieve cut-through in local, regional and national media. You do not need to be a member of the Liberal Democrats but you must have sound political judgement, understanding and sympathise with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats, specifically the role that MEPs play in the current political climate, and the party’s overall aim to stop Brexit through either a second referendum or revoking Article 50. You should be at ease with large and often unpredictable workloads with a good temperament that allows you to deal with the unexpected. You will be able to extract information from public organisations and Government reports. You will be well organised and able to work without supervision in a challenging and unpredictable environment. Most importantly, you will have excellent communications skills, and must also show a willingness to innovate, experiment, and share best practice. You will be thinking of new and unique ways to make headlines and gain coverage for the MEP’s and their work.
- Timely drafting and distribution of reactive lines to breaking news and the issues of the day;
- Identify issues that get cut through in media and build proactive stories to generate media coverage for the MEPs
- Working with other staff to produce pro-active media initiatives;
- Alerting MEPs and staff to significant news stories;
- Maintaining the news content on the websites of the MEPs;
- Filling broadcasting bids for radio, television, newspapers and online media;
- Drafting articles for MEPs;
- Assisting with MEP promotion on social media;
- Take photos and videos of the MEPs at events and to react to breaking news
- Accompanying MEPs on UK visits when a media presence is anticipated;
- Working with other staff to ensure that MEPs are fully briefed before media appearances;
- Providing on-call cover at the weekends and in the evening as part of a rota;
- Pro-actively seeking slots on broadcast media for MEPs;
- Developing a professional working relationship with North West based political and specialist journalists;
- Representing the views and outlook of the Liberal Democrat MEPs to journalists;
- Maintaining an up to date distribution list for journalists, third party groups and other stakeholders;
- Supporting the MEPs at conferences and other events;
- Working with other staff and MEPs to develop and implement a media strategy;
- Maintaining an overview and awareness of political and policy developments in the North West and elsewhere by different parties;
- Other duties as may be required to support the work of the MEPs.
Other Criteria and Notes:
Applicants should highlight if they have experience using Mailchimp, Nationbuilder, Kantar, Connect, Forward Planner or other similar systems.
Applicants of all education levels are invited to apply.
The role does not preclude voluntary political work for the Liberal Democrats, provided such activities do not interfere with the performance by the employee of his or her duties in that capacity or give rise to a conflict of interests.
Hours of work and salary are negotiable for the right candidate.
Application deadline: 5pm on 16th October 2019
Contract: Subject to Article 50 extension
Interviews: W/C 23rd October 2019
Start date: 1st November – subject to Article 50 extension
Applicants should send a one-page CV and then choose a recent news item, topical issue or Liberal Democrat priority and submit:
- One draft press release
- Three social media posts with good quality photos or infographics to accompany
- No more than 100 words outline a potential supporting PR stunt
This should be sent to:
Email: [email protected]
Post: Pablo O’Hana
Office of Jane Brophy MEP and Chris Davies MEP,
34b Heaton Lane,
If you would like to speak more about what the role entails please email Pablo O’Hana on [email protected]